Friday 18 October 2013

STICKY PORK BELLY

If you are on a diet please stop reading now...............................


 Seriously don’t go any further....................................................



You’re still reading aren't you? Fine then, you can read on but I shall not be held responsible for you racing to the supermarket to buy the ingredients you need and whipping this up. Don’t worry just do what I did, oats for breakfast, salad for lunch that way guilt free indulgent dinner!!!!! OK OK I didn't really do that but you do that ok? 

I came up with this recipe because I wanted to use up some pork belly that I had in my freezer and also the bf was coming over and I wanted to make something different. The bf and I both thought it was delicious, make it and drop me a comment to let me know what you think. 

STICKY PORK BELLY

Ingredients
550g of pork belly slices
5 cloves of garlic, (3 peeled and smashed and 2 crushed)
2 spring onions, cut into thirds and crushed
½ tsp Ground ginger
½ tbsp dried chilli flakes
3 tbsp of light soy sauce
65g of sugar (half white and half brown)
1 tbsp Worcestershire sauce
1 finely chopped finger chilli – feel free to use a scotch bonnet or any other kind of chilli you have 

Directions
Place the pork belly cubes in a large pot and pour water over it, just enough to cover it. 


 Add the crushed garlic, spring onions, ginger and chilli flakes and 2 tbsp of soy sauce. Cook on a medium heat until it starts to simmer; once it starts to simmer turn the heat low and allow to simmer gently for about 15 – 20 minutes.




Remove the pork belly slices and reserve the liquid; leave the pork to rest for about 15 minutes before cutting into 2cm chunks.Heat the sugar in a wok or a large saucepan over a high heat with 200mls of the pork stock and cook until the sugar caramelises and the sauce starts to thicken.


Once the sugar is caramelised add another half cup of pork stock,  the chopped finger chilli, grated garlic, ground ginger, a table spoon of soy sauce and a tablespoon of Worcestershire sauce. Stir to incorporate and cook for another minute. (If you just want a little bit of heat slice the chilli in half and toss this in instead. discard just before serving)



My pot is super tiny right? teeehee. Anyhoo, add the chopped pork belly slices and stir to coat with the sauce. Cook on high for about 10 minutes or until sauce has reduced to a thick sticky sauce. Keep stirring the sauce and if at any time you think the sauce is too thick add some more stock to loosen it.


Serve with basmati rice and an extra sprinkling of spring onions.


3 comments:

  1. I'm loving this blog already........ The pork looks really good. Definitely going to try this one.

    Thumbs up

    ReplyDelete
  2. I'm loving this blog already...... Pork looks really good

    Definitely going to try this one.

    thumbs up.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. thanks a lot love!!!!!! let me know how it turns out when you try it

      Delete